Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Waiting for something to happen!

Today was a day spent doing pretty much nothing at all. Anne was preparing to join her course, by getting all the paper work under way. There were all sorts of certificates to be submitted and university fees to be paid. We saw a classmate Rohit there, who has got admission this year for pediatrics. He was been someone who called me regularly during the past 3 months to make sure I was OK. He had quite a rough timehimself, a few years ago and is quite a fighter after completely recovering from some unknown viral illness that left him paralyzed. Its great to hear a success story, isn’t it? We love to hear about those who have done well.
I remember this to be true and particularly apparent as soon as I was diagnosed with lymphoma. I used to wonder why most people try and remember the story of someone who made it through a tough time – such as cancer. This was how they thought I would be encouraged. “So and so made it through a lung ca, prostate ca….” and so on. But it’s natural for people to do that. I know it’s not possible to draw from personal experience in such cases. But the entire point is letting the other know that you care.
I knew my chances from the start, and these individual success stories are not really going to change the mental picture I have of parents losing kids to hematological diseases from my days as a medical Intern. For every success story there are in fact 2 patients where things didn’t work out. I don’t say this with dejection or remorse. I’m just saying that once I am through this disease, I will be some one who can say – LOOK AT ME, I made it. Lance Armstrong calls it the “duty” of a cancer survivor. I think that carries more weight that saying “I know this guy, who is the brother of a friend of a friend…. Who made it thru cancer”. Don’t you agree?
I just have to sip on my coffee and wait for the radiation therapy doctors to call…

5 comments:

gP said...

life is full of survivors. You teached everyone a good lesson, that is to believe and live for the reason to be alive. we need more inspiration in life to get out of the dark culture thats been eating away our society and the youth, and when we stop to look and listen to someone whose struggling for life itslef, then maybe we can understand the importance of life.

I will definitly tell everyone that I know a survivor.

Pareshaan said...

Dude wish you all the best man, wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Prayer as you go thru' radiation:
Isaiah43:2b ...when you walk thru'the fire, you will not be burned or scorched,nor will the flame kindle upon you.Amen
Love you Tarunmon

Anonymous said...

Prayer is the greatest strength we have and iam sure GOD will do more miracles for you and your family ...

Arya said...

Tarun,you are indeed a very very strong person. Re, Lance Armstrong - you are absolutely right!

He never ceases to amaze me. I once heard his resting heartrate is something like 32! Imagine that! The fittest man on the planet.

What doesn't break you, makes you stronger.

Arya.