Saturday, January 21, 2006

Off the steroids!

I got off the starting blocks at the crack of dawn this morning. We had the Saturday morning clinical meeting for the Surgery department and it was a useful discussion on a thyroid lymphoma and hypocalcaemia after thyroid surgery. Both surgical topics that I learnt something new about! It beats sitting around at home and feeling sick!
The fingertip pain persists, but my veins are a bit more forgiving. I used to get a jaw/parotid pain after Vincristine in the past, but oddly it’s not there this time. (Small mercies!)
I spent the morning reading a bit of Surgery, but am finding it difficult to concentrate – just sheer lethargy I suppose. I have to buck up. I’m worried that staying at home has made me too soft – wonder how I’m going to get back to the surgical residency life after being treated and acting like a Maharaja for the past 12 weeks! In 4 – 6 weeks I’ll hopefully be holding a pager and doing duty as usual. Wah! Wah!
The steroids are now being tapered. I was on 75 milligrams of Prednisolone which will be brought down over the next 10 days to avoid side effects of stopping suddenly. The most immediate side effect is my loss in appetite – I know my food craving has been blunted, but I did enjoy a lovely Pumpkin pie Tripti made, with fresh cream to top. Absolute yum!
We had a small reflection on Gods will, over dinner tonight and we all admitted that this particular hymn has helped us with respect to His will in our lives. It was in Anne's and my morning devotion this morning, and a Hymn sung in Amma’s college that helped her.
Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom,
lead Thou me on!The night is dark, and I am far from home;
lead Thou me on!Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene;
one step enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to have hope on our heavenly father who leads us all the time when we are in pain when we are in trouble . But sad part is we forget him many a times which is very wrong .We all have to realise and his miracles are to be shared with the entire world.